What is my personal liability as an IFC officer if my council doesn’t have insurance? How does the NIC’s insurance program address that?

In most cases, IFCs are unincorporated associations. Officers of an unincorporated association can be held personally liable for any negligent act or omission of an unincorporated association. Being an officer increases your exposure to being named in a lawsuit. If your IFC does not have insurance and a claim is brought against an IFC officer, this likely would result in a parent’s homeowner’s policy being called upon to provide a defense and indemnification of a liability claim. The NIC’s IFC Insurance Program will provide officers and volunteers the needed coverage should an injury occur during an IFC event or activity.